Friday, March 7, 2008

The things I will miss most about Huingan-Co

-The scent of Lavender during the heat of the afternoon.
-Carito (goat) cooked in an outdoor oven fueled by wood. The best meat in the world.
-Being called the Canadian Senora.
-The breeze in the Catalpa trees. It sounds like soft rain.
-The 'Saurus' wine. A wine that has taken its name from the dinosaur bones that were discovered by the land owners where the grapes are grown.
-The nite sky.
-Meals in the mess hall and the lively conversation that took place there.
-The crisp white shirts and neatly pressed pants of the men. In a mountainside town with mud roads it is a wonder to see.
-The hitchhikers.
-The blue of the Rio Neuquen.
-The kitten that adopted me at the Troutcha (Trout) farm.
-The people of the town who all waved from their vechicles or geeted me with a friendly 'Hola' when they passed.
-The sing song speech of the spanish.
-And, believe it or not, the kissing. A North American handshake is such a cold greeting.
-The mountains. Definitely the mountains.
-Afternoon siestas.
-Sylvanie, Diego, Veronica, Eduardo, Gracila, Sabrina and Lilliana.
-But most of all, Emiliano, Andrea and Emilio. My Argentine family.

The night before we left Emiliano quietly presented Sean and I with gifts that he had purchased for us. Keychains, made from the wood of the local ponderosa pine. He chose those because he said they contained the keys to Neuquen, so that we could always find our way back.

1 comment:

Carla said...

Stop! you're giving me a lump in my throat and my eyes are all watery!!
Carla