Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Action in Buenos Aires at Midnite

I have yet to figure out when the people of Buenos Aires actually sleep. Nobody goes out for their evening meal till eleven at nite. The only people that you see in restaurants before ten o'clock are tourists and the streets are alive at midnite. Sean and I went to an outdoor cafe last nite for cena (supper). The streets were jammed with people and cars. We barely found a table and this city is maggoty with outdoor cafes and restaurants. At that hour, people are sitting down to a full meal of appetizers, large entrees and desserts, not to mention the wine and beer that is normal with every meal except breakfast. We have decided that the women here must throw up regularly. There is no possible way to maintain their figures with their eating habits. They look like waifs. Even the clothing in the shops is designed for a skeleton. A skeleton with boobs, of course. While shopping yesterday we noticed that there seems to be more clothing stores for men than women. Doesn't THAT say something!

I digress. At midnite there are children as young as five wandering around with arm loads of roses, individually wrapped, trying to sell them to diners. These children are everywhere. They must be making sales or they would not be at it. (An aside.... yesterday we saw a little boy who could not have been more than four, working the streets in Palermo with a case of little shooter glasses in the shapes of bears. You should have seen him sell! And we didn't get a photo!) There are mothers with infants out begging on every corner. Young and old alike are walking the crammed streets.

We went into a bookstore around midnite and the place was swarming with customers. AT MIDNITE! And EVERYBODY smokes... everywhere. I don't think there are any places off limits.

This is quite a city. As much as I love Argentina, I will not miss Buenos Aires. Too big, too noisy, too fast and far to superficial for my taste.

We head for home today. I will try to add some photos to each of my blogs later. If we miss our connection in Toronto (1 hour and 25 minutes to make it) I will do it then. Everybody say a little prayer for us to make it. I want to see Zack before he leaves to go back to Fredericton.

2 comments:

Carla said...

I know what you mean about the kids on the street - it broke my heart when I was in Brazil. I wanted to take them all home ( that was before I was married) but I'm sure I would feel the same now.
Carla

Bev said...

awwww. no prayers would have helped. you were flying air canada!!! And i was expecting to you say that the children were gainfully employed. Did you buy a shot glass or a rose. By the way I couldn't post when you were talking about the thing you will miss the most...I was too busy looking for tissues...