Friday, February 29, 2008

Colonia, Uruguay


After some whining and needling I finally got Sean to consent to border hopping. We took the high speed catamaran to Colonia, Uruguay this afternoon and my, oh my, oh my. Oh... what a spot! Heaven on earth. It is a port city about the size of Deer Lake and extremely picturesque. It is built on a narrow peninsula so you can see water on three sides. The roads and sidewalks are cobblestone and there are huge flowering trees everywhere. And, Connie, if you are reading this, it is a bird watchers paradise. Just to listen to the singing of the birds at dusk was enoough to make the trip for me!

We are staying in the historical section, a place that has gone back in time. Our hotel is one of the original buildings in the city and is like something out of eighteenth century Spain. A beautiful courtyard, rock walls, shutters on the windows.... a storybook setting. The shopping is better than anywhere else I have ever been; the food is to die for and the people are kind and generous to a fault. If anybody were planning a honeymoon vacation, this is the place to visit. We went to the yacht club for dinner (which never takes place till after 8 at night ... and that is an early meal). I had grilled lamb wrapped in bacon and phyllo pastry. I have never had a meal quite like it. The service was excellent and the view stupendous. After that we walked to the town square where a live band was performing with a singer. They were as good as it gets. Incredible. It started to rain so we left to walk home when the singer burst into a spanish rendition of Frank Sinatra´s `I did it My Way´. Wow ! It´ll never be the same again listening to old Frankie! All of the restaurants here sell grilled meats but they grill on charcoal rather than gas. Starting at sunset the smell thruout the city is of the smokiest, yummiest meat that you can imagine. I think I would like to get a job here and stay. I wish you were all here.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Next time take me with you!!!
Carla

Kim Thistle said...

Carla, you are a worker bee so you would do great down here. Maybe we should get a two month stint working and learning spanish!

Sister Donna said...

it seems as tho Jesse learned to write from her mother.....
great blog, glad you are having fun.

Donna